Monday, August 11, 2008

Family

I know that I should be getting some sleep, but my body just seems to let me stay up way to late. I get up extremely early but you wouldn't believe how tired I am in the morning.



I have been spending some time with my Grandpa Tyler lately. It is something I haven't done a lot of since my Grandma Sharon passed away. Grandpa and I have always had this type of relationship that no matter what, him and I are always OK. We always have laughed, talked and had a good time.

Not everyone gets to have that relationship with me. Not everyone gets to have that relationship with him.

Distance.... I don't know why when someone passes, it is hard to reach out. You do for a minute and then you feel sad. I remember walking in his house for the first time and crying. And it had been a while since Grandma passed, but that didn't stop me from thinking about her and crying. Well, anyway, Grandpa was diagnosed in the fall with cancer. Got scared, upset, mad really quick. What the heck? He was always the healthy guy who NEVER got sick. He since has gone through treatments and is still undergoing treatments but is doing much better. His energy is up. I invited him and his girlfriend, Sandy, to my birthday bash and they came.

Ever since then, we have been staying in constant contact. I have been going over there with my girls to visit, swim, hang out. And he is getting to see a different side of their personalities for a change. Him and I have talked more than we have in a long time. Something that you don't realize you miss, until it slaps you in the face.

We took the girls over there and for the first time, and after much influencing, Meagan got fully in the pool. She was throwing the ball, making quacking noises (which is now an inside joke between her and grandpa), and truly had a good time. Katelyn always loves the water. She is getting much better at swimming under the water.

Eventually, they talked Sandy and I into getting into the water, which meant no more pics because I couldn't get the camera wet, (not that I would want my bathing suit pictures on the web...trust me...it ain't pretty)

And Sandy has taken to the girls as well. We found out that Sandy lives right across the street from where Meagan takes her riding lessons every other week. Katelyn and Meagan are enjoying this newfound family time.

Shawn with Katelyn and Meagan

Meagan. I am so happy that she is getting more comfortable with being in the water.
Meagan and Katelyn with Grandpa

Playing ball.

Grandpa smiling
Not that they lack family time... my sister (Aunt Jessica) just had her big 2-6 last week. We always do a family dinner with Grandma Hamel and Dick invited so we have some photos of that day as well.

Meagan wih Aunt Jessica

The house, the house, the house is on fire!

Jessica with mom

Geoff with mom

Me with Jessica. I am usually the one taking he photos. Happy Birthday.


Jessica with Great Grandma Hamel and "Grandpa" Dick

I didn't get any pics with Grandma and Dick at my birthday, so we made up for it now.


Mom with "Little" Jessica. For those of you that don't know, Lil' Jess has been a part of our family for over 15 years. She is our "sister", spending many birthdays, holidays, and other functions with us. We wouldn't have it any other way.


The Gang! Me with mom, Jessica, and Little Jessica.


Jessica and Geoff
Even though I love family, I don't feel that I ever spend enough time with everyone or I don't get enough photos to capture moments. It seems that busy schedules can get the best of us, especially when you have kids. So my plan is to capture photos of the girls with other aunts and uncles, cousins, grandparents soon. These are memories that I don't want forgotten. Plus, my other dad is coming in town and the girls haven't seen him since Christmas last year, so we will definitely get some photos with him

Family- embrace the moment, remember the times, never forget the memories.

No comments: